Energy Statements For Planning
Planning applications require Clients to demonstrate how a building minimises energy use and emissions. This is recorded within the Energy Statement.
The Energy Statement follows the Energy Hierachy and focuses on:
- Building Regulations / SAP and SBEM Compliance
- Government and Local Authority Policies
- Enhanced Building Fabric & Systems
- Low to Zero Carbon Technologies
- Renewable Energy Systems
- Overheating Risk – TM:52
- Cooling Demand and Cooling Hierachy
- Air Quality Management
The aim is to ensure the client, design team and Local authority are fully informed as to how the development, in context of the planning conditions, will minimise its Carbon Footprint and maximise it’s Energy Efficiency.
FLATT advises Clients, Architects and Design Teams on how design decisions influence energy consumption, carbon emissions, thermal comfort, daylight and summer overheating.
To understand how building form and construction impacts energy use and emissions, it’s essential the building undergoes dynamic simulation modelling. This allows us to compare it’s performance against the required targets and select the most appropriate heating and cooling strategy.
Once the building energy is minimised, we can accurately size and select the plant and systems to achieve a cost effective installation.
Dynamic Thermal and Simulation Modelling allows us to investigate:
- Building geometry
- Building layout optimisation
- Building fabric performance
- Thermal comfort levels
- Summer overheating
- Solar shading effectiveness
- Natural and mixed mode ventilation
- HVAC services installations – sizing and operation strategies
- Daylight lighting design
- Passive design strategies
- Renewable energy systems
- Energy consumption and carbon emissions
- Occupancy profiles and building use
- Building Regulation and Energy Compliance (Part L, EPC, BREEAM etc.)
Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD)
In complex buildings and spaces, for example, passive buildings, data centres, and atriums, it’s essential to obtain a more detailed understanding of the internal environment.
Using CFD modelling, we can design and specify systems to meet the exacting requirements of these spaces as follows:
- Internal airflow simulations to assess natural and mechanical ventilation systems effectiveness
- Effectiveness of passive thermal stores, exposed slabs, night cooling strategies
- Detailed assessments of thermal comfort at varying locations though a space
- Airborne contaminant dispersal studies
- Data centre room cooling strategies to avoid hot spots, size plant, heat dispersal from racks
- Model effect of Plant failure on the internal environment
- Displacement ventilation strategies
We have employed Flatt on several of projects since 2012 and their service has been exceptional. Their thorough, analytical and creative approach to our projects is highly valued, as is their diligent approach during the construction process and post completion. We hold Flatt in high regard and look forward to continuing our relationship in the future.Derwent London
Flatt has worked as Consultant Engineers with us over several years on a number of different projects and have always proved supportive, proactive and engaging... we would not hesitate to consider them again in the future.Workspace Group
We have engaged the services of Flatt throughout a number of our regions and irrespective of the size of project have found them to be totally professional in their approach and delivery of those services and would have no hesitation in recommending them.Berkeley Homes
Flatt are one of our lead M&E consultants and we value their professional and pragmatic approach to project management and refurbishment work, particularly with the increasing demands and needs of the sustainability agenda.Threadneedle Property Investments
We have worked closely with Flatt Consulting on a large complex residential project and found them to be proactive, thorough and detailed in their approach. They have always been helpful leading to a very positive team approach. I do not hesitate in recommending Flatt Consulting to our clients.WCEC Architects
Flatt Consulting are an important part of our office development team because of their proactive, cohesive and cost sensitive approach to systems design and problem solvingWestminster Real Estate