District heating can be an effective means of distributing heat to large, commercial and residential developments to provide central heating and hot water.
A District Energy Network (DEN) can lower the environmental impact, decrease pollution and increase the energy efficiency of the development.
Heat Generation and District Heating Design
The design of a District Energy Network (DEN) depends on a variety of factors, including:
- Heat generated can be used for hot water generation and space heating
- The scale of the development
- Integration of combined heat and power plant
- Integration of air source heat pumps or other renewable heat generators
- Local Authority energy and emission targets
- Incorporation of design standards for diversity and building use/occupation type
- Realistic and cost-conscious commitments in Energy Statements
- District heating designs will be divided into separate parts such as the production area and central boiler plant, the pre-insulated pipes and distribution network and the consumption area and substation.
- Durable components and resilience are essential
- Eliminate unnecessary over-sizing of plant to achieve the lowest capital cost and fuel consumption
We have employed Flatt on several of projects since 2012 and their service has been exceptional. Their thorough, analytical and creative approach to our projects is highly valued, as is their diligent approach during the construction process and post completion. We hold Flatt in high regard and look forward to continuing our relationship in the future.Derwent London
Flatt has worked as Consultant Engineers with us over several years on a number of different projects and have always proved supportive, proactive and engaging... we would not hesitate to consider them again in the future.Workspace Group
We have engaged the services of Flatt throughout a number of our regions and irrespective of the size of project have found them to be totally professional in their approach and delivery of those services and would have no hesitation in recommending them.Berkeley Homes
Flatt are one of our lead M&E consultants and we value their professional and pragmatic approach to project management and refurbishment work, particularly with the increasing demands and needs of the sustainability agenda.Threadneedle Property Investments
We have worked closely with Flatt Consulting on a large complex residential project and found them to be proactive, thorough and detailed in their approach. They have always been helpful leading to a very positive team approach. I do not hesitate in recommending Flatt Consulting to our clients.WCEC Architects
Flatt Consulting are an important part of our office development team because of their proactive, cohesive and cost sensitive approach to systems design and problem solvingWestminster Real Estate